10 villagers pork chipolata sausages, skinned
1ž2 large bramley apple, grated
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 tbsp chives, chopped
1 tbsp vegetable oil
tomato ketchup to serve
For the onion rings:
1ž2 large onion, finely sliced in rings
4 tbsp milk
6tbsp seasoned plain flour
1. Preheat your deep fat fryer to 190C/375F. If you don t
have one, heat at least 5cm/2in of oil in a large wok or saucepan
and use cubes of bread to test when the oil is hot enough.
CAUTION: Do not leave hot oil unattended and never fill the
pan more than one-third full of oil.
2. Toss the onions in the milk and set aside to soak.
3. Mix together the meat, apple, garlic and chives and form
into 8 small flat patties. Heat the oil in a non-stick frying
pan and fry the patties on both sides until well browned and
4. While the patties are cooking, remove the onions from the
milk and toss in the seasoned flour. Return the onions to
the milk again, drain and then toss in flour a second time.
Deep fry in the hot oil until crisp and golden. Drain on kitchen
5. Serve the patties on a warm serving plate with the crispy
onion rings and plenty of tomato ketchup. Eat at once.