500g/1lb2oz villagers sausages
3 tbsp vegetable oil
2 onions, sliced
200g/8oz chestnut mushrooms, cut in quarters
1 tbsp plain flour
1 tbsp tomato purée
290ml/1ž2 pint vegetable stock
1ž2 tsp dried rosemary
1 packet (8) ready-made individual Yorkshire puddings
small savoy cabbage or half a large one, shredded finely
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6. Brush the sausages with
1 tbsp of the oil, put in a roasting tin and bake for 30 minutes,
turning them a couple of times, until browned.
2. Heat the rest of the oil in a large pan. Fry the onions over
a medium heat for 10 minutes until browned, stirring occasionally.
Tip in the mushrooms and cook until softened, then stir in the
flour and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the tomato purée,
stock and rosemary and simmer for 5-7 minutes until thickened.
Season to taste.
3. Heat the Yorkshire puddings on a baking sheet in the oven
for 6 minutes.
4. Finely shred the cabbage with a sharp knife. Cook the cabbage
in a large pan with a little boiling salted water, tightly covered,
for 2-3 minutes. Drain well. Alternatively, put it in a microwave
on high for 2-3 minutes.
5. Cut each sausage in six pieces and add them to the onion
gravy. Spoon the sausage mixture in the hot Yorkshire puddings
and serve with the cabbage.