1 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 onion, chopped
225g/8oz smoked streaky bacon, cut into 2cm/1ž2in strips
6 villagers sausages
1 can baked beans
1 glass red wine
290ml/1ž2 pint beef stock
2 sprigs thyme
2 tomatoes, chopped
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the potato cakes:
225g/8oz ready-made mash potato
1 eating apple, peeled and grated
knob of butter and oil, for frying
1. Preheat oven to 190C/375F/Gas 5.
2. Heat a large pan add the oil and fry the garlic, onion and
bacon for 2-3 minutes.
3. Chop the sausages into large chunks and add to the pan.
4. Add the red wine, stock, baked beans, thyme and tomatoes.
Bring to the boil and gently simmer for 8 minutes.
5. Stir in the chopped parsley and season with salt and pepper
before placing in an ovenproof dish. Sprinkle with the breadcrumbs
and bake for 10 minutes.
6. Mix the apple with the potato and season, shape into a cake.
7. Heat the butter and oil in a frying pan and add the potato
cakes. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side.