500g villagers Edinburgh beef sausages
2 tbls vegetable oil
250g rindless smoked back bacon (cut into strips)
1 large onion (sliced)
1 large carrot (sliced)
1 stick celery (sliced)
2 400g tins of chopped tomatoes
125g red split lentils (washed)
300ml beef stock
2 tbls red wine vinegar
1 tsp mixed herbs (dried)
2 bayleafs, salt & pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 180c/gas mark 5
2. Place sausages on a baking tray and brown (circa 5 minutes
on each side under the grill).
3. Heat oil in a frying pan, add bacon, onions, celery, carrot
and fry for 5 minutes until soft. Transfer into an ovenproof
4. Stir tomatoes, lentils, stock & vinegar into casserole
and add season with herb, bayleaf, salt & pepper.
5. Add sausages to the casserole including the juice in the
baking tray and cover with lid or foil.
6. Place in the oven and cook for 1-11Ú2 hrs until lentils
Serve with fresh rye bread.