225g/8oz Italian Umbrian lentils or Puy lentils
1 x 750g/11ž2lb villagers Cumberland sausage
3 tbsp olive oil
300ml/10fl oz red wine
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 shallots, finely chopped
leaves from 2 sprigs of rosemary
small handful of small sage leaves
1 red chilli, seeded and chopped
6 pieces sun-dried tomatoes in oil, drained and cut across into
300ml/10 fl oz beef broth
2 tbsp chopped flat leaf parsley
freshly ground black pepper
1. Drop the lentils into a pan of boiling salted water and cook
for about 15 minutes until tender, but still with a little bit
of bite left in them. They will be cooked a little more later
on. Drain and set aside.
2. Pa ss two large metal skewers diagonally through the sausage
to keep it in place during cooking.
3. Preheat the grill. Grill the sausages for 15-20 minutes,
turning occasionally, until they are evenly browned and cooked
4. Transfer to a baking tray, cover loosely with foil and keep
hot in a low oven.
5. Pour the excess oil out of the pan, return the pan to the
heat and add the red wine.
6. Increase the heat and allow it to boil vigorously until it
has reduced to about 3 tbsp. Pour the reduction into a bowl
and set aside.
7. Add the remaining oil to the pan and add the garlic, shallots,
rosemary, sage and chilli. Fry over a medium-high heat until
the shallots are soft and lightly browned.
8. Add the sun-dried tomatoes, lentils, red wine reduction,
beef broth and some salt and pepper and leave to simmer gently
until the liquid has reduced slightly and the lentils are tender.
9. Stir the chopped parsley into the lentils and spoon them
into a warmed shallow serving dish.
10. Put the Cumberland sausage on top, remove the skewers and