454g (1lb) villagers fine sausages
2 onions (peeled)
2 red onions (peeled)
8 shallots (peeled)
2 tbls of good balsamic vinegar
4 tbls light olive oil
1 tbls light brown sugar
15g fresh sage (roughly chopped)
4 cloves garlic (peeled)
Sea salt & black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 190c/375f/gas mark 5.
2. Cut the onions into wedges, leave the shallots whole and
place the onions and shallots in a small roasting tin. Douse
with three tablespoons of the olive oil and the balsamic vinegar,
then add the brown sugar, sage and garlic.
3. Season and cook in the oven for 25 minutes, turning once
or twice during cooking, until the onions are tender and are
starting to caramelise at the edges.
4. Normally we don't recommend frying our sausages but as the
oven is occupied sometimes it can't be helped.
5. With the remaining oil, brown the sausages in a frying pan
(DO NOT HAVE THE HEAT TOO HIGH) then remove and add to the roasting
tin with the onions. Continue to cook a further 15-20 minutes
and serve with mash potato.